The next presidential elections in the United States will be in November of 2020. Undoubtedly, the possible re-election of Donald Trump along with the debate generated by his protectionist, anti-immigration policiesand isolationists, will make these elections of particular interest at an international level. We will see if Trump’s speech has taken root in the US electorate, beyond the republican base itself, or if his election responded to a specific historical moment as a consequence of the financial crisis of the past decade and that contributed to generating a anti-globalization wave. Thus, from this scenario, the Democratic Party has begun to move its pieces and there are already those who have raised their hands to champion the Democrats in the race for the presidency of our northern neighbor.
Although not yet defined, Donald Trump is expected to seek reelection and be the candidate of the Republican Party in 2020. For this reason, issues such as the construction of the wall on the border with Mexico, the “Deferred Action Program for Arrivals” in Childhood “known as DACA, the separation of migrant families on the border, the health reform called Obamacare , the adoption of international agreements against climate change and those in trade, the tax reform and the symptoms of slowdown in the economy American, will be all issues that will be discussed throughout the Democratic primaries and-after-in the campaigns.
Having said that, it is worth making a list of the Democrats who have already expressed their intention to seek the candidacy of their party for the presidency; which, until now, is made up of the following politicians:
- Kamala Harris , current senator for California, of Indian mother and Jamaican father, roots that make her particularly close to the pro-migratory cause. He served as California Attorney General from 2011 to 2017. He has been one of the most critical voices of the Trump administration since Congress.
- Elizabeth Warren , senator for Massachusetts since 2013, has had a meteoric career in the political arena. She was a law professor at Harvard University for more than 20 years. He has been critical of the inequalities of the American economic system and the power that Wall Street holds.
- Senator from New Jersey, Cory Booker , who served as mayor of Newark between 2006 and 2013. He is one of the African-American Democrats best positioned for the race.
- Sherrod Brown , senator from Ohio, is a lawyer with extensive experience in both federal and state Congress. He is one of the few liberal politicians with a successful career in the Midwest of the United States. UU., Traditionally conservative, so it has a good popularity among the electorate; however, he has no experience in fundraising.
- Kirsten Gillibrand , is a senator from New York since 2009 when Hillary Clinton vacated that seat. In 2012 he won his re-election with 72% of the votes. Liberal, particularly in immigration issues and arms sales. He has worked against sexual harassment and has been the head of movements such as # MeToo and the march of women.
- Julián Castro , Mayor of San Antonio, Texas, from 2009 to 2014 and Secretary of Urban Development and Housing from 2014 to 2017, during the Obama administration. He is the best Latino in the polls. During the campaigns of 2016, it was speculated that Hillary Clinton could have chosen him as his candidate for vice president.
- Pete Buttigieg , 37, mayor of South Bend, Indiana, is a veteran of the Afghanistan war. He would become the first openly gay presidential candidate.
- John Delaney is a politician and millionaire who in 2018 decided not to seek his reelection as representative of the 6th district of Maryland to the US Congress. He was the first Democrat to announce his intentions for contending for the presidency in a formal manner.
- Tulsi Gabbard is a representative for the state of Hawaii. He participated in the wars in Iraq and Kuwait. He opposes forcibly removing the president of Syria, Bashar Al Assad, and has been critical of the foreign policy of his country, particularly the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Likewise, he was against the Trans-Pacific Economic Cooperation Agreement (TPP ).
- Andrew Yang , 44, is an entrepreneur and founder of Venture for America , an organization focused on promoting the work of entrepreneurs. He worked with Barack Obama as his ambassador for global entrepreneurship.
- Amy Klobuchar , was the first woman elected to the Senate by the state of Minnesota in 2006, having been re-elected in 2012 and 2018. Her electoral platform includes universal health care, constitutional amendments to annul decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States, adherence to pacts international organizations to combat climate change, promote legislation on arms control and reform the criminal justice system.
However, it is also expected that others will make public their intentions in the coming months, among them are:
- Joe Biden , who had an outstanding career as a Delaware senator from 1973 to 2009, and then as vice president from 2009 to 2017.
- Bernie Sanders , a former presidential candidate in 2016, is currently a senator from the state of Vermont.
- Michael Bloomberg who is a media entrepreneur and was mayor of New York between 2002 and 2013.
What we can be sure of is that the Democratic Party will make a very important turn to the left with whoever is their candidate for the presidency in 2020.